Friday 18 November 2011

Big Brother Is Nearly Finished...

...almost exactly a year since I started it!

Fifty-five thousand words done, with one more chapter left to complete, I think, taking me to seventeen chapters. I always seem to end on the seventeenth chapter, dunno why. Maybe it's some sort of magic number for me.

A year! This month in the UK a lot of writers have taken up the fifty-thousand word writing challenge, where they are striving to write that many words in a month! I admire anyone who achieves it. It'd kill me, and there's too much in my way for me to be able to take up a challenge like that. Work, for one thing; that four-letter irritation that stands in the way of you doing what you want to do! But, OK, in this current climate I suppose I'm lucky to have a job. I don't earn enough with my writing to give up work. I'm not JK Rowling, you know! So it's a case of I owe, I owe, it's off to work I go...

The home is another obstacle. Someone has to do the housework, the shopping and the cleaning. Then there's family - Keith wouldn't like it if I spent every waking hour writing (I have to give him some of my attention!) - and holidays, and going out...If I had children I might manage to write a word, although I do regret not having any.

Excuses or reasons? A bit of both, I suppose. Sometimes I get home from work and either I can't be bothered to write, or I'm too tired, or I'm stuck and can't think how to phrase something, or Liverpool are playing, or I get caught up on Twitter or a debate on my football forum, or I'm promoting Epiworld, Abbie's Rival and Goalden Girl...there are other things going on in my life apart from writing. I enjoy my writing, but I don't eat, drink or sleep it. I don't think that makes me any less committed, I think it means I have to have other interests. I don't apologise for being a Liverpool supporter!

Anyway, once I've written the last word for Big Brother I can concentrate on editing and proof reading it. It won't be ready for Christmas, unfortunately, but it will be ready in the New Year. Once that's done I can get cracking on my sequel to Goalden Girl! I haven't got a name for it yet, but it will be called Goalden something. More news on that another time.

1 comment:

Shalini Austin Metalsmith said...

Really looking forward to it!

And the Goalden sequel too!

And the more immediate... a game of football today! Yes! Liverpool are playing :-)